Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ashley's Affirmations

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in Borders in DE when I looked over at the table next to me. There a young woman had cards, markers, stickers and more fun "stuff" to make prizes. Since I am a curious individual, I asked what was going on and if I could sit down to learn more. The answer I received was a warm and welcoming smile. We introduced ourselves and I was pleased to meet Ashley Brown. She wears many hats. The one she was wearing when we met was that of a before and after school teacher at Tender Loving Kare Private School and Day Care in Bear, DE. Here is her story about what she was doing that day. Ashley entered our contest!!

"I give affirmation to everyone I come in contact with including family, my students, co-workers and to people I meet everyday. I am in a business where we are constantly around people and are meeting new people so I am usually "other driven" and take time out to make sure other people know that I appreciate them. (Ashley and her husband have a business, Financial Solutions Provider in Wilmington, DE)

One way that Martie caught me affirming others is with a card I made for my before-care program students at TLK. My students, ages 6-10 years old, were challenged to play the quiet game and the winner would receive a prize. Of course, 13 out of 15 students won the game, so I decided to make cards for them and tell them in the card how I appreciated their awesome behavior and am blessed to have them as my students. Each card was multi-colored and had the first initial of their name on the front. The next day in the classroom, I hid each card somewhere in the room and let the kids know they had to find their individual prizes. They LOVED this idea, and said, "This was fun Mrs. Ashley. Thank you!" I enjoyed watching them search for and then open the cards. Something so small turned out to mean so much. I was affirmed by their joy!

An added thought on Ashley's email: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away."
Send in your contest entry and see your story here on the blog!
Go to our web-site for details about entering http://www.daretoaffirm.com/

No comments: