Friday, July 11, 2008

Marian Dances her way through life!!

Marian is a wonder and a joy and is dancing her way through life! I met her at the Cumberland County Fair as we were walking to see the animals. First I saw the welcoming greeting of her face and the I noticed the ribbon on her chest. I had to know about it and decided to ask. What does it mean? She has been in 4-H for just about 60 years! Amazing! She had stories to tell and I wished I had my handy little notebook with me for recording them. For now, I have to rely on my memory. As a young girl, she began, as many of us do who were involved with 4-H, with cooking and sewing. She baked the cookies and pies and made the aprons and skirts. She had her gardens with vegetables and flowers and then she discovered DANCE. Dance is how Marian has been moving through life for oh so many years now. She was the leader for many clogging groups because music just brings you alive. Now, she no longer dances, but has passed along the tradition to her children and grandchildren. Her granddaughter is the "leader" of the 4-H clogging group now, but Marian is right there with her since they need an adult leader present. Maybe she can't move the body as she used to, but the mind is active and she shares her skills through her words. She only lives a few miles from the Fairgrounds and can just about zip over in her wheelchair.
I know that had we taken more time, there were so many more stories to share. Thanks Marian for all you have done, and continue to do, to add joy and delight to the lives of so many youngester and oldsters. You are a wonder.

2 comments:

Amy Sperry Faldet said...

Oh I'm so glad to be here on your blog to see the joys you are seeking and finding. This is a great place and great photos of the gifts of people. Blessings.
Amy Faldet

Amy Sperry Faldet said...

I love the dares too. This is a gift to the world.