Sunday, July 27, 2008

Felisburto Lights Up His World!!

When I walked into the Paulsboro Head Start program, I could feel an energy there that was different from what I remembered - and it felt good!! I soon realized what it was, or maybe I need to say WHO it was. There is an individual there who shines a light as he opens up to accept and affirm all of the staff and the children in the program. It is exciting to see how he cares for those with whom he works, and even more exciting to see how they respond to him! I asked him what might make the difference with him and how he is. Here is what he said: "Martie, I believe that there is good in every person. I look for it and I see it!" Oh my goodness. Felisburto catches them all doing something right. We went on an adventure together through the center, visiting the classes where the children and the teachers were engaged. The language they used was expansive and caring. There was spontaneous learning taking place throughout the center. One might say it was summer and everything was more "laid back" and maybe that had something to do with it all, but there was more. Ms. Susie, the family worker in the program almost "forever" shared that when people come in looking for good things to be happening, they can find it.


Thanks to all of the children and staff who welcomed me and made my "short" visit keep going. I kept saying, "I have to leave". Finally, I did but looking forward to the next visit we have scheduled in a few weeks.

No comments: