Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dancing Their Way Through LIFE...One Step at a Time

What are they doing?? What is the meaning of all of this? What do I see and why do I share this?? SHOES...from the first spark - the orange and pink laces in New Brunswick, Canada 4 years ago, I have been noticing and photographing the shoes that others CHOOSE to wear - and yes, we have choices ...usually. This past weekend, while at the Pitman Craft Show, I took close to 200 more views of people's feet. It is NOT the shoes, but the stories and the conversations that I have that are a big part of my reason for doing this. NO ONE (well, one guy last week in a coffee shop) has refused my request. See, I start out with AFFIRMING them..."You have great shoes. Can I take a picture of them to add to my collection?" I share with them that I am writing a book about shoes...how the shoes are in some ways a metaphor for life (thanks Bob!!) and also how they allow us to express our uniqueness and our diversity!! Same...yet different. It is how we all our...we are human beings and then unique individuals. We vary in physical appearance, behaviors, temperaments and the "baggage" and history that we bring to any relationship. See, it IS all a dance. Sometimes we trip over our own feet trying to dance. Sometimes we flow gracefully around the floor, often with a partner...or not. It is WONDERFUL!!
Now I have taken some of the shoe pictures and made them into cards. When I take a picture, I now have an AFFIRMATION CARD to give to people to say THANKS and to share that I have "caught thems doing something right."
People are responding to our workshop topics and asking us to facilitate sessions for them, the shoe collection is growing, and through Flickr.com and my friends there, I learn to value and appreciate affirmations I receive and those I can share with others.
See, all over the world, IT IS A DANCE!! Put on your shoes and get going. Then write and tell us how catchthemright@aol.com

1 comment:

Elena Bravo "Elena de San Telmo" said...

Dear Martie
I just sent to you a mail with photos of my shoes :)

with love

Elena de Buenos Aires