Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dancing with My Sister...A Gift

As I grow older and wiser, I come to recognize the treasures in my life. They are NOT things, but people and those with whom I dance. These relationships are so present in my heart. One of these special people is my sister Lisa. We are 9 years apart, so growing up, we were somewhat like strangers in each other's lives. When I left for college at 17, she was 8. What did we have in common except the same parents and other family...and growing up at the NJ seashore.
As the years have gone by, I have come to see so many similarities. In some ways, I chuckle and think we could be fraternal twins born 9 years apart!
Can you believe, Mom could not tell who it was on the phone. We sound alike. We also got our love of life, our people skills and a spontaneity and zest for living as a gift from our Dad. Wish he were here to see us and our kids growing so much older and wiser in the past 25 years. We still miss him and his ways.
Why do I write about Lisa today? She shared a story with me last night that is so "DARE to AFFIRMish". She recently spent time with a few other families and one of the moms was not the most nurturing and affirming person with her young teen. Lisa saw this happening, empathized and decided to be positive with the daughter. At one point, the mom said to Lisa, "I know what you are doing!! I am not always positive and you have been that way for my daughter." To me, that was a powerful step that Lisa's behavior was recognized and even valued. Isn't role modeling one of the best ways to subtly guide other people's behaviors - and if we are lucky, even make changes!?!?
It is important to me to affirm my sister and appreciate how much she "gets" DARE to AFFIRM and the values and lessons that are so important to me.
She truly knows how to "catch them doing something right." Thanks Lisa Hope for the gifts you give to me.

2 comments:

Elena Bravo "Elena de San Telmo" said...

I loved this post. I've just made a link of your site in my site.Congratulations!

Elena Bravo "Elena de San Telmo" said...

ohhh my main web site is

http://enreteladelalma.blogspot.com/

bye, chauuuuu

besos, kisses