Thursday, January 10, 2008

Authentic People ...sniff them out!!

My sister, Lisa Rother, has been involved with city planning for most of her professional career. Recently, she shared information with me about "The Third Place" - a location besides home or work where someone goes and "fits". Yesterday, Allison and I worked at the Riverfront Market in Wilmington, DE, and I realized that in some ways, this has been a
third place for me. I have my "friends" there and I can spend time there comfortably. I want to tell you about a few of them.

Before I continue - why the picture of the pin in this post? To me, this represents the Dancers of Relationships, and I wear it as much as possible when I go out. I love the pin and also what it represents. Often someone will comment on the beautiful pin and ask where I got it. I often take it off and give it to them! It just feels right. I only give them one if they feel "real" and authentic to me.
A few weeks ago at the Market, I met Vonda - also known as "Mom-Mom" working at the coffee shop. Her warm smile welcomed me to her space. I felt affirmed. Yes, she commented on the pin and is the proud owner of one of her own. She is a "real" person.
Yesterday, we were there working and it was lunch time. When I went to order my sandwich, the young woman, Charlitha, asked me if I was the woman who gave her mother-in-law the pin. "Yes," I said. Now Charlitha had a smile that was equally as welcoming and a bright as "V"'s and a caring personality to go with it. I asked her if there was a story about her name. Her dad is Charlie(meaning strength & leadership) and her mom is Ruth (compassionate friend). They combined their names and added the "a" for femininity. Charlitha embodies all of that and more. She is an "authentic" person just as my intuition told me the same about "V". Yes, she proudly wears her dancer pin!!

What do I mean by an AUTHENTIC PERSON? Elisabeth Kubler-Ross talked about this in her book LIFE LESSONS. She said she could "sniff out" real people- you can smell them with all of your senses. If they smell real, she gives them a signal to come close. They are who they are and comfortable in their own skin. They are accepting and giving - loveable and open.
Are you an authentic person? Do you know authentic people? If we talked, would I quietly reach up, unhook my pin and gift you with it?? Is it easy to catch you doing something right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!